Pre-K Math and Science
In the past, stereotypes and misperceptions have surrounded the mathematics and science fields – that they’re irrelevant for preschool children, or that women are not good at math and/or science. Pre-K Math and Science assists early educators in overcoming these misperceptions by building confidence through learning the scientific inquiry method and mathematics processes.
Early childhood educators learn how they’re the driving force to instilling these skills and concepts in children. The lessons in this course spark curiosity and give educators the tools to help young children explore their world in a developmentally appropriate way.
Pre-K Math and Science helps early educators:
- Understand that everyone can be a scientist or mathematician
- Identify the skills and concepts used to investigate the world around them
- Understand the importance of in-depth investigations of meaningful topics over time
Pre-K Math and Science includes the following lessons:
- Foundation of Math and Science with Young Children 3 hours
- Theory and Research: How Children Explore the World 3 hours
- Inquiry and Processing Skills 3 hours
- Math and Science Learning Environment 3 hours
- Numbers and Patterns 3 hours
- Physical Science and Life Science 3 hours
- Geometry and Measurement 3 hours
- Earth Science and Nature 3 hours
- Projects: Investigation and Exploration 3 hours
- Projects: Documentation 3 hours
Pre-K Math and Science offers the following to all participants:
- Up to 30 hours of professional development credit from the Arkansas Professional Development Registry and the Arkansas Department of Education
- Available for anyone to enroll in FREE OF CHARGE
- FREE course materials and access to in-depth content, including a participant manual and other resources, such as My Five Senses, Shapes, Shapes, Shapes, and both Kindergarten Readiness Indicator Checklists for Parents and for Teachers
- Up to 3.0 Continuing Education Units, upon request
- Certificate of Completion and Verification of Training Hours, upon request
- Opportunity to collaborate and build community engagement with other industry experts
Visit the Arkansas Professional Development Registry to find available courses or call (800) 632-8754.
The Arkansas Department of Education approves all courses provided by Early Care and Education Projects for professional development credit. However, the awarding of professional development credit based on attendance at this workshop is solely at the discretion of the local school district. Learn more by reviewing the Arkansas Department of Education Rules Governing Professional Development (Feb 2016).